Program & Services
Read2Succeed's programs are designed to improve children's academic performance while helping reduce illiteracy rates in the communities we serve. In addition, Read2Succeed offers a variety of services that enhance the well-being of families and set them on the path to self-sufficiency.
"I 2Can Succeed" Family Literacy & After-School Tutoring Program
As one of Read2Succeed's leading education enrichment programs, "I 2 Can Succeed" is a unique after-school program designed to help K-5th grade students enhance their academic performance. Our goal is not only to increase student's grades and participation in class, but also to instill in them a distinct appreciation for reading and writing. Parents are encouraged to become actively involved in their children's academic success and are given opportunities to participate in a series of educational activities along with them. Below are a few of the program highlights:
• Using a Florida State approved curriculum that follows Sunshine Standards, certified teachers and paraprofessionals provide tutoring services and lead interactive learning activities in the areas of reading, math, science, technology, physical fitness and social development. During the program, children are provided healthy snacks and are encouraged to participate in fun activities that promote a healthy, active lifestyle.
• Student to teacher ratio is kept at about 13:1, mainly averaging about 10:1. Smaller groups of students are organized for kids that need extra attention or have special needs.
• Program sites are available throughout Miami-Dade County. New program sites are continuously being explored.
• Progress and educational gains are measured three times per academic year through a variety of assessment tools.
• Children attend several fun, educational field trips that enhance lessons learned in both the classroom and in our after-school program.
• Family members of children participating in the program are provided with great educational resources, including access to Read2Succeed Reading Center and invitations to seminars on topics discussed in our Family Education and Empowerment Program
Supplemental Tutoring & Enrichment Program (S.T.E.P)
Program designed to provide children struggling with academic performance direct access to supplemental tutoring and educational resources during non-school hours. Using a Florida state approved curriculum that follows sunshine standards, certified teachers and paraprofessionals provide tutoring that enhances academic achievement and strengthens deficiencies in the areas of reading, language arts, mathematics and science. The program closely monitors student's progress and fosters collaboration between parents and teachers to ensure that all of the child's needs are being addressed.
Family Education and Empowerment Program
The program offers educational seminars and workshops designed to enhance the well-being of children and families. Hosted throughout Miami-Dade County, these seminars cover topics in a variety of areas including:
• Health and Nutrition
• Financial Literacy
• Workforce/Career Development
• Child Safety
• Family Literacy
• U.S Legislative updates and changes in U.S immigration laws
In addition, the program helps facilitate access to social services and programs when needed. Families are informed of community resources available to help them become self-sufficient and also referred to the appropriate social service agency for additional guidance and support. As part of this effort, parents also have access to certified family counselors that conduct parental skills workshops and private family counseling sessions.
READ2SUCCEED's Signature Reading Event
Read2Succeed's signature event designed to promote the importance of reading. For this event, community leaders are invited to read a story to children and help lead a special discussion on the main themes of the story. Children are also given the opportunity to engage in artistic activities and receive milk and cookies.
For additional information, please contact our offices at 305-969-7440 to obtain date and times of upcoming "It's Storytime" events.
The Adult Literacy Program
Program designed to help families and adults eliminate the English language barrier. Program participants receive free ESOL (English for Speakers of Second Languages) classes taught by certified teachers and have access to technological resources, including state-of-the art voice recognition software that helps enhance reading, writing and pronunciation skills. Students are also taught civic education and are given opportunities to engage in community service activities with their family.
I 2CAN SUCCEED FAMILY LITERACY & TUTORING PROGRAM
Children participating in this program need to meet one of the following requirements:
1. Academically low performing or at risk of grade level retention (including low FCAT test scores)
2. ESE/ESOL (English Speakers of Other Languages) status
3. Child receives free or reduced lunch at school
SUPPLEMENTAL TUTORING & ENRICHMENT PROGRAM (S.T.E.P)
Children participating in this program need to meet the following requirements:
1. Enrolled in free or reduced lunch
2. Attend a Title I School in Miami Dade County designated in "need for improvement"
(For information on Title I Schools, visit: http://title1.dadeschools.net/pdfs/schools.pdf